Breastfeeding and babywearing

POSTED by Kate on July 26, 2011 | CATEGORIES: Babywearing, For The Baby, For The Belly, In The Windy City, Products

I’m looking forward to trying two new things with baby boy as soon as he arrives. The first, breastfeeding the “traditional” way. At some point I’ll post all the dirty details about Elise but the short story is that due to latch issues then my re-hospitalization due to high blood pressure (we were separated for four nights), I was an exclusive pumper. For eight months. Gah.

This time I have an ACTION PLAN:

1. I’m taking Mother Me’s ”Breastfeeding without the Rules” class tomorrow night. Two friends who had successful breastfeeding relationships highly recommended the class. (Mother Me provides Chicago families with birthing support/doulas, classes, consulting and other services. I interviewed the owner, Rita, a few months ago about how to switch doctors mid pregnancy.)

2. I’m reading La Leche League’s The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I remember all of the “basics” from last time but each night I skim through a few chapters as a refresher.

3. I have a Lactation Consultant lined up in case we have problems. A friend recommended that I find an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.) I did some Internet research and now have Kathy with Lactation Partners on speed dial. Kathy spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me talking about her approach and giving me some tips. I really appreciated her time and while hopefully I won’t need her, I know she’s there if I do.

(Don’t be shy….I want to hear your advice in the comments or what worked for you!)

On to the second thing….babywearing! Remember when Steph from Adventures in Babywearing came over a few months ago? I posted this Beginner’s Guide and it’s been so helpful (and I’m not even babywearing yet). Steph lent her ring sling to my friend Megan (below) who then passed it down to me today and also gave me a little demo. That’s Elise’s baby doll in the sling, by the way.

I also have a Moby wrap lent to me by Sarah. It looks like this.

I’m lucky. I have generous babywearing friends. Most of them also breastfed/breastfeed so I know I have a lot of support.

—-

One more thing: Steph and I talked about breastfeeding and babywearing a few months ago. A lot of people group them into the category of “crunchy” moms. I like Steph’s response on babywearing:

Babywearing is really any act of keeping your child close in a carrier. Crunchy or not, babywearing works wonders for parents and caregivers that don’t want to lug around a stroller, have multiple children to keep track of, or to just soothe their baby while they get things done, keeping their hands-free.

And yes, wearing a baby in a Bjorn or other “traditional” carrier IS babywearing. At least that’s what Steph says. :)

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Kate July 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I’m finally successfully breastfeeding with number 3. Had issues with my first two, leading to early weaning with the first, pumping for two months with the second. I’m not a good pumper for some reason, so I don’t often get much more than 2 ounces in any pumping session.

I am using the Moby wrap, and I love it – more than the sling, actually, which surprised me. I was able to walk around Wal-Mart, nursing my 7-week-old little girl, and feel completely covered up. It was nice!

I hope everything works out for you this time around. Good luck and enjoy!

Tristina July 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I have so many things crossed for you for your success in both areas. I love babywearing – wrapyourbaby.com is a fantastic resource for using wraps on newborn to toddler and front, hip and back. I used it a LOT to learn back-wrapping. I would recommend getting a woven wrap at some point since they can be used longer and for back carries.

Oh I am so excited for you!!!

Christine July 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What is it about these troublesome first babies? With Aislin (who is now 6) I dislocated my tailbone during delivery (she was posterior) and I could barely sit up straight for two months. This made breastfeeding really, really hard as you might imagine. She was tiny, too, and just wanted to sleep all the time. And for some reason I couldn’t get the hang of side-lying. So I pumped for about 2 – 3 months. I kept offering the breast in addition to bottles, though, and at about 3 months I decided that pumping was FOR THE BIRDS. So I took a nursing holiday. Me, Aislin, liters of water and a comfy couch. We nursed and nursed and nursed. And she got the hang of it! She then decided to wean around 20 months.

Now I am on baby #2 who took to breastfeeding like a champ. She was bigger, more alert and I was less nervous. We also co-slept, which worked for us, but isn’t for everyone. I just smashed that boob into a sandwich and shoved it WAY into her mouth! She’s two now and I’m ready to wean. She’s not. I think I am going to have to take a spa vacation to wean her.

Adventures In Babywearing July 27, 2011 at 9:46 am

Love this! So excited for you, and so nice of you to offer all this info you’ve gathered in one place for new moms!

Steph

Cameron July 27, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Kate, could you pretty pretty pretty please measure the Sakura Bloom sling for me? I’ve been searching online for an hour! I have a $100 fabric store gift card I need to use and want to make a silk sling but I’m not sure of the measurements. I wouldn’t ask but I’ve honestly looked all over trying to find measurements for them and am finally giving up and just asking. :)

Cameron July 27, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I sorted through more and more pages on making your own slings so I have a good enough idea now and don’t need you to measure for me. Thanks though and sorry to bother you! :)

Stephanie August 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm

It sounds like you have a thoughtful plan in place…and how wonderful to be surrounded with such supportive friends! I wish you the very best.

I created a “resource” page about breastfeeding on my blog a month or so ago. It list my top products, books, and tips. Perhaps it might be useful to you? http://metropolitanmama.net/breastfeeding/

Stephanie August 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm